• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Career guide for international students

Career giude for foreign students contains vital information about HSE Career development centre and answers to most common questions about finding job in Russia and work permit such as:
- Where can I find out about vacancies for foreign students in NRU HSE?
Are there any instructions on how to get a position of teaching assistant in HSE? 
- When and how do employers recruit graduates?
- What kind of salary can I expect to earn?
- Are there any special places where I can search for a job?
- How long is the work permit valid for?

You can read all the information below or download it as pdf-file:

 Career guide (PDF, 456 Kb)


HSE Career Development Center

The main goal of the Career Development Centre is to help HSE students and graduates build a career and get a job. The main activities of the centre include organizing career events, advising students on career issues, organizing internships for students and offering employment opportunities to graduates, and conducting research on the youth labor market. HSE Career Development Center can show you a range of resources to help you. Resources include careers fairs and employer presentations on campus, skills sessions or workshops aimed at developing your skills, and online vacancy databases HSE family where you can also post your CV. Every day we publish new vacancies for HSE students and graduates at our Facebook and Vk pages. Two times a year we hold career fairs. We also organize career days and round tables with our partner companies.

Individual Consultations

The  Career Development Centre  provides individual consultations to HSE students about writing CVs and cover letters. Consultations for international students are provided in English. Skype consultations, which are discussed individually, are also available.

The consultations are free, еhe duration of each consultation is up to one hour. Consultations are held from 11.00 to 19.00, from Monday to Friday.  Please note that you need to make a preliminary appointment!

To schedule a consultation please contact career@hse.ru and indicate ‘schedule a consultation’ in the subject line. Please indicate your first and last name, the year of study, the faculty, your phone number and the day you would like to arrange the consultation.

If you can’t attend the consultation at the scheduled time, please notify the manager of the Centre via phone +7(495) 772-95-90 add. 27711.


Where can I find out about vacancies for foreign students in NRU HSE so I could work for the university?

Information about job openings for foreign students can be found at the Career Development Centre  page (https://career.hse.ru/en/), at  our Vk and FB pages or you can contact the Centre via e-mail career@hse.ru. Vacancies are posted as they become available. It is also recommended to ask about vacancies in the personnel office and faculty student offices.


Are there any instructions on how to get a position of teaching assistant in HSE? What kind of documents and forms are required?

Every teacher or professor has a right to invite teaching assistant - an assistant who will take over part of the routine tasks associated with the course of reading. The teacher formulates tasks for an assistant and monitors the quality of their performance.

Faculty independently establishes rules for applications and eligibility criteria for assistants. The entire registration process takes place at the faculty of your teacher.

All about Teaching assistants (applications, employment and salary, contacts of faculty coordinators) you can find here. For further questions (filing, registration of contracts and the exact amount of payment) you need to contact the coordinator in your faculty.


When and how do employers recruit graduates?

Many graduate schemes follow a recruitment cycle, where jobs are advertised in the spring or autumn. For certain sectors, such as banking and finance, schemes may be advertised in September with a closing date in May. However, some large graduate employers recruit all year round on a 'rolling' basis.

Direct entry positions are advertised throughout the year as vacancies arise. Employers usually expect you to start work straight after the recruitment process, so these positions are sometimes unsuitable to apply for before you've completed your degree.

Recruitment processes vary. Smaller organisations may have a two-stage process, with a written application followed by an interview. Larger organisations and graduate schemes often have a multiple-stage process, including some or all of the following:

·        a written/online application form or a CV and covering letter

·        a psychometric or aptitude test

·        a preliminary interview, which may be done by telephone

·        an assessment centre, which is often the last stage and may include a further interview and a series of individual and group exercises

Details of a company's application and selection procedures are usually available on their website.

Are there any special places where I can search for a job?

Finding jobs in   Russia

Expatica jobs

Check out jobs in Russia on Expatica's job page. 

Russian job websites

These job websites are in English: 

·          AntalRussia

·          CEE-Legal

·          ExpatRu

·          Learn4Good

·          Morgan Hunt

·          XpatJobs

These job websites are in Russian: 

·           Bankir.ru – financial jobs

·           Career.ru

·           CareerJet

·           eGraduate

·           Indeed

·           Headhunter

·           IRR

·           JobRapido

·           Job.ru

·           Penny Lane Personnel

·           Rabota 

·           SuperJob

·           TrovitRussia

Teaching English – and other language-related work – in Russia

There’s a high demand in Russia for English teachers with TEFL qualifications, mostly in schools in Russia’s main cities and large towns but also within Russian businesses. As many of these jobs are part-time and not very well paid, some people work at several different places at the same time. You may also be able to get a language teaching job in Russia if your first language is French, German, Spanish or Italian. These language teaching companies are worth a look: BKC English, EnglishFIrst and Language Link Russia. Some language companies will handle your work visas and help you find accommodation as well. 

There are also opportunities for translation and/or editing work in Russia. See Language Interface for this type of work. Many international companies have in-house editors, translators and language teachers; look on their websites and apply directly. 

Embassies and consulates

Check out the websites of embassies or consulates in Russia to see what job opportunities are available – you don’t necessarily have to be a national of a particular embassy/consulate to work for it. Depending on the diplomatic mission and type of work (some jobs may have security restrictions), jobs may be open to nationals, the spouses or partners of nationals, or to those of any nationality who have residency or the legal right to work in Russia. 

No work permit is required if you work during the holidays or on your university campus

Note: a 30% personal income tax will be applied to your salary until you stay in Russia for a total of 183 days within the last 12 months. After your stay in Russia exceeds 183 days, the tax rate will decrease to 13%.


Work permit

According to a recently passed Russian law, full-time international students taking state-accredited degree programs at professional and higher education institutions may legally work in Russia on the basis of their student visa.

International students do not need any permits if they are employed at universities   (or affiliated organisations) outside class time (including vacations).

In all other cases, a permit is required. Permits are issued only to students on full-time courses at state-accredited universities. Students can work only according to the profession specified in the permit, and in the region (city) where their university is located.

The student must obtain a work permit before officially beginning work in most cases.

 A work permit is not required for:

1.    Students of professional and higher education institutions working during vacations,

2.    Students of professional and higher education institutions working at such professional and higher education institutions or business entities established by the budgetary or autonomous educational institution they are enrolled in.

The work permit application must be filed with the local office of the Russian Federal Migration Service of Russia serving the area in which the student's visa is registered.

The work permit can be issued for the term of active labor agreement, but not exceeding one year, and may be prolonged repeatedly on the same conditions. The work permit will be invalidated upon the termination of the student's enrolment in the related educational institution.

Full version of the law (in Russian) is available here

The related law is Federal Law #203-ФЗ from July 23, 2013, “On Amending Federal Law 'On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation' and Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation in Order to Create More Favorable Conditions for the Education in the Russian Federation of Foreign Citizens and Stateless Persons.” It introduced a new article (Article 13.4) to Federal Law #115-ФЗ from July 25, 2002 “On Legal Status of Foreign Nationals in the Russian Federation.” The law came into force on January 1, 2014, except specific regulations which became effective upon publication on July 25, 2013.


For advice on career and job opportunitiesat HSE and beyond please check the HSE Career Development Center

If you are interested in getting a part-time job off-campus, you must first obtain a work permit by submitting the following documents to the General Administration for migration issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia  (all documents should be in Russian):

From 2014,  it has become easier for international students to arrange a work permit: the number of documents required has decreased and the processing term is now shorter (down to 10 working days).

·      Application (download here)

·      Passport

·      Notarized copy of passport

·      Migration card, registration

·      Copy of migration card, copy of registration

·      Certificate issued by the HSE that you are a full-degree, full-time student (issued by the faculty's study office)

·      Employment agreement

·      Payment receipt for the work permit state fee of 3,500 rubles (fill in to generate a form)

·      Health certificate proving general examination has been conducted*

·      Health certificate proving you do not have dangerous infectious diseases + HIV health certificate* (check the list of authorized hospitals)

·      A digital photo on a memory stick or drive

·       A statement from a university confirming that the student is enrolled on a basic full-time course


General Administration for migration issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia

Address: 109240 Moscow, Verkhnaya Radishchevskaya street, house 4, bldg 1

Phone: +7 (495) 698-00-79
Email: cogpw@fms.gov.ru


Working hours:  Monday – Thursday 9.30 am – 5.30 pm, Friday 9.30 am – 4.30 pm. Closed daily during lunch hour from 1 pm to 1.45 pm.

How long is the work permit valid for?

A permit is issued for 1 year and needs to be extended for the term of the respective employment contract. If students leave their course, the permit is cancelled.

If a student changes their job before the end of the term of the current permit, they may work under this document at their next place of employment, but they must inform the Russian Federal Migration Service of such changes.

What happens if I work without the requisite documents?

Foreign citizens who work without a permit face fines from 2,000 to 5,000 rubles. In Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Moscow and Leningrad regions, the punishment includes a penalty of 5,000-7,000 rubles and deportation from Russia.


There are certain categories of foreign citizens that don't need work permits:

·       Students who study in Russian educational establishments and work for the period of their holidays.

·       Students who study in Russian educational establishments and work part-time as assistants in their places of study.


If I ever have problems with the employer, where can I search help?

Career Development Centre

Phone: +7(495) 772-95-90 add. 27711
Email: career@hse.ru

Address: Moscow, Pokrovskiy blvd 11, L102. 
Monday-Friday from 10.00 to 19.00


Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.