• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Employment Regulations

International full-degree students holding a student visa are allowed to work part-time in Russia. 
Exchange students may also work part-time but only if they are employed by HSE (no work permit required in this case). 

For  advice on career and job opportunities at HSE and beyond please check the HSE Career Development Center

If you are interested in getting a part-time job off-campus, you must first obtain a work permit by submitting the following documents to the Federal Migration Service (all documents should be in Russian)*:

  • Application (download here)
  • Passport
  • Notarized copy of passport
  • Migration card, registration
  • Copy of migration card, copy of registration
  • Certificate issued by the HSE that you are a full-degree, full-time student (issued by the faculty's study office)
  • Employment agreement
  • Payment receipt for the work permit state fee of 3,500 rubles (fill in to generate a form)**
  • Health certificate proving general examination has been conducted*
  • Health certificate proving you do not have dangerous infectious diseases + HIV health certificate* (check the list of authorized hospitals)
  • a digital photo on a memory stick or drive
  • Certificate issued by the HSE that you are foreign citizen who studies on higher education program (sample: Certificate

* If you do not want to do it by yourself, you can contact BRP-Group company. It deals with visa services and work-permits.

**Payment receipt should be filled same as the example below:

No work permit is required if you work during the holidays or on your university campus

Note: a 30% perosnal income tax will be applied to your salary until you stay in Russia for a total of 183 days within the last 12 months. After your stay in Russia exceeds 183 days, the tax rate will decrease to 13%.

No work permit is required if you are doing unpaid internship
If your intership is unpaid and does not require employment agreement - you do not have to get a work permit.  Letter of Ministry of Internal Affairs

If you are student of the Faculty of Pre-University training*:

  • You should get work-permit (and you can obtain it) if you are going to work outside the university
  • You do not need to have a work permit to working in the HSE


* According to 2nd and 33th Articles of Federal Law №273-FL 29.12.2012


Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!